Summary of how we use your data
- CIGRE uses your personal data to manage your relationship with us, allow you to purchase services from us, deal with invoicing and ensure that we can communicate with you efficiently.
- Data is ONLY used by the team members of the Central Office of CIGRE or by the National Committee through which you register as a member
- Where we rely on your consent, such as for newsletters subscription, you can withdraw this consent at any time
What does this policy cover?
This policy describes how CIGRE and its National Committees will make use of your data to purchase membership or information from our website (cigre.org).
It also describes your data protection rights, including a right to object to some of the processing which CIGRE carries out.
What information do we collect?
We collect and process personal data about you when you interact with us and our websites, and when you purchase services from us. This includes:
- your name
- your email address
- your phone number
- your address
- information related to the browser or device you use to access our website
- Those that have a personal account in the CIGRE Knowledge Management System also provide the following information which other logged-in Users can see
- Company name
- Primary and secondary email
- Year of Birth
- Public (e.g. linkedIn) profile page
- Tertiary Qualifications
- Reason for access to KMS
How do we use this information, and what is the legal basis for this use?
We process this personal data for the following purposes:
- To fulfil a contract, or take steps linked to a contract: this is relevant where you make a purchase from us. This includes:
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you;
- providing information and sending newsletters
- Where we have a legitimate interest. This includes:
- to conduct research, analysis and analytics of our websites and newsletters trafic
- Where you give us consent:
- we will send you newsletters in relation to our relevant events and latest news, or other services provided by us or by our National Committees.
- we place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with our Cookies Policy and the information provided to you when those technologies are used
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which we explain at that time
Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to newsletters
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. You have an absolute right to opt-out of newsletters, or profiling we carry out for newsletters, at any time. You can do this by following the instructions in the communication where this is an electronic message, or by contacting us using the details set out below
What rights do I have?
You have the right to ask us to correct, delete or restrict(stop any active) processing of your personal data; and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format,and to ask us to share(port) this data to another controller.
In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the data for direct marketing).
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us using the details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred
How do I get in touch with you?
We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. If you have any concerns about how we process your data, or would like to opt out of newsletters, you can get in touch at email@example.com
Which CIGRE entity is my data controller, and which affiliates might my data be shared with?
The data controller for your information is CIGRE. Your personal data may be shared only with the secretariat of your CIGRE National Committee (a list of all CIGRE National Committees is available here
How long will you retain my data?
Where we process registration data, we do this for as long as you are an active user of our sites and for 12 months after this.
Where we process personal data for newsletters purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests). We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you newsletters or to process your data so that we can respect your request in future
This policy is written in English with a reference translation in another language (if necessary). In the event of any conflict in interpreting or construing the terms of this policy, the English version shall prevail.